Our Vehicle & Contractor Requirements
For Owner Operators
Interested in joining our team?
All we expect is that our towaway drivers are professional, dependable, and experienced. Does this sound like you?
We’re always interested in talking with owner operators who are curious about learning more about Trailer Transit. Please call us if you have any questions.
Let’s see if you qualify.
Independent Contractor Requirements
Tractor to be in good physical and mechanical condition and pass a D.O.T. annual inspection prior to orientation in Porter, Indiana
Three (3) years verifiable over-the-road, tractor-trailer experience
Tractor should be ELD compliant
Pass D.O.T. physical
Pass D.O.T. drug testing
Be registered with the FMCSA Clearinghouse
- All contractors should understand our customers’ trailers are moved throughout all 48 states and Canada
- Trailer Transit believes in, and operates under, the premise of safety for our owner operators, customers, and our company. All FMCSA requirements are met.
Base Plate & Permits
Cost of Indiana Base Plate can be deducted from each settlement
Trailer Transit offers a toll transponder and scale bypass for a nominal fee
Contractor must provide proof that the current year (2290) Federal Highway Use Tax has been paid
Contractor must have the original or copy of the original title to the tractor
Trailer Transit provides ALL other permits
Suggested Additional Equipment
- Due to the nature of our business and the needs of our customer base, it is highly recommended that you have a sliding 5th wheel with a long slide, either at time of sign-on or shortly thereafter.
- CDL endorsements for Tank, Doubles, and Hazmat
- Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC)
- Tie down equipment:
- Six 20” chains, 5/16” high tensile or 3/8”
- Eight tire chains
- Six chain binders
- Four 4”x30” straps with flat hooks
- Four ratchet-type winches
- Light Bar – used on trailers without rear lights or if the electrical system is not compatible
- Pintle Hook, Ball Hitch, and Electric Brakes